Sunday, July 25, 2010

On the road again...AGAIN...

We are now on the final two days of our two week vacation. We left Pittsburgh this morning (me for the second time) and we're on our way home. By the end of this trip, we will have gone through nine states! Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas and Texas! I feel very blessed, considering that a lot of people in Texas have never ventured north of the Red River. I hope by dragging our kids all over the country they grow up appreciating a good road trip. I'm sure that's why I love them so much. My parents had me all over the US by the time I was 5. I've only missed three states and I fully intend to visit them in the future. Hawaii would make for a better plane trip though, don't you think?

~~~~~

We had a great time with our family. The weather, while it was a little warm, never got unbearable (at least not to us) until the last couple of days. Most of the time, while a little humid, the weather was quite nice...but we were the only ones that thought so. I guess I'm more used to the Texas heat than I thought.

While on our trip Eric hit three of the restaurants featured on Diner's, Drive-In's and Dives show. I hit two of them, and they were really good! Especially last nights. We ate at a place called "Big Jim's In The Run". It was probably the best "dine-out" meal that we had on the trip. I had their steak hoagie and Eric had their parmesan meatballs with spaghetti. Eric's plate could have fed the whole family and the stromboli that one of the guys that was with us could have fed the whole table. This place isn't called "Big Jim's" for nothing!
After dinner we went to the top of one of the surrounding hills and walked out on a scenic overlook. We got to take a couple of pictures of the night-time skyline, but ended up back at the car rather quickly because it started to pour on us. Pittsburgh is a beautiful city at night and not anything what I imagined it would be like during the day. Eric and I both thought it would be this ugly, dirty city with a perpetual dark, smoggy cloud hanging over it all the time. We were both pleasantly surprised. It was very picturesque and we could would have enjoyed an extra few days there. Graci even told me she'd like to move in to the hotel that we were staying in. I think she's seen too much of "The Suite Life Of Zach And Cody", but that's just me.

Going through Columbus, OH, just a few minutes ago, we were able to stop and see some family that we didn't think we'd get a chance to see. (and some that we had just spent the week with) It was a nice, unexpected little side stop!

Now, we are on the way to Cincinnati. I've been humming the theme to WKRP in Cincinnati all morning. I think I'll try and pull up the show on Netflix and maybe watch an episode before we go through town.

No comments:

Post a Comment