Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Old Kentucky Home...

Well, not really. We've never owned any real estate in KY, but we sure wouldn't be opposed to doing so. We greet you today from the beautiful Blue Grass State! If you've never been to KY, we strongly encourage you to do so. It's Beautiful!

We bedded down for the night in Elizabethtown, KY after a long and (mostly) lovely drive. The kids were well behaved for the most part during our travel time and we enjoyed our alternate route that we tried out. Eric and I both agree that the coolest part of the drive yesterday was the drive in to Kentucky. By going the way we did, we were able to see where the Ohio flows in to the Mighty Mississippi. It was at dusk, and it was beautiful. We crossed the Mississippi from Missouri in to Illinois via Cairo, the southernmost tip of the state. Once we crossed, we took a right hand turn on to another picturesque, two lane bridge and crossed the Ohio River in to Wickliffe, KY. In the span of three minutes we had traveled in three different states and saw where to beautiful rivers merge together.

Ahhhh...I just love rivers. In fact, I'd love for you to be able to read a weeks worth of blog posts from Eric and I traveling down the Mississippi via paddle boat cruise. :-)

We are moving right along this afternoon. After breakfast, we got on the Blue Grass Parkway and took that in to Lexington...one of the prettiest places that you travel through on the way to West Virginia. It's home to Keeneland Race Course and there are horse farms everywhere. While stopped at a light we even saw a "First Class Equine Air" plane fly in. We took several pictures around town and as soon as I can go through them and figure out how to post them to a blog from my phone, I will.

Right now we are on I-64, headed to the West Virginia border, which is about 100 miles away. We only have one stop planned (aside from a potty or gas stop) before we get to my Grandma's house. That's "Hillbilly Hotdogs" in Lesage, WV, a small town just outside of Huntington. It was featured on Diner's, Drive-In's and Dives, and since it's pretty much on the way...we just gotta stop!

After that it's just about 3 hrs to our destination. We'll be happy to get there,that's for sure. I've not seen most of my family in almost a year and a half and I'm ready to be out on the farm, fishing, catching lightning bugs and looking at stars. Lots and lots of stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment