Wednesday, July 28, 2010

And we're home!

Eric came up with "Hansen's on Asphalt". We were sitting around trying to think of names and he said, "How about 'Hansens on Asphalt, like Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt.' Worked for me. We even took our Feasting On Asphalt book along with us in case we came across anywhere Alton had visited on his Mississippi River Run. (we didn't come across any of them though) Truth be told though, we could have named this blog "Hansen's on Asphalt, Concrete, Dirt, Mud, Gravel or Grass." We covered all of those different roads and paths along the way. Oh...I forgot "Creek Bed". That was actually one of my favorite means to an end. Below are a couple of pictures...

Here we have Two Hansens On Grass



While there aren't any Hansen's in this picture, I'm sure one took it...Here you have Asphalt.

Here we see two of them on gravel (this is walking down the North Bend Rail Trail)

Here you see Audrey squatting down in the dirt/mud

And now running from it on gravel once again

Here is a fine example of concrete in Kentucky

And here...Creek Bed. We took a four wheeler ride up an old road that isn't used much, I'm guessing partially because the road is the creek bed in a couple of different places

We made it home about a day and a half ago. We were exhausted, but we had a wonderful trip. We went through a lot of country that Eric had never been through and a lot of country that if I'd been through it with dad once upon a time in the truck, I'd forgotten about it. I have lots more pictures and after this week of wedding cake is over, I'll get to those. Thanks to those of you that read this. While it may bore some to tears, I hope that it inspires others to get out there and take a road trip. There is so much pretty country to be seen. I think life is too short to take a plane everywhere. We think getting there is half of the fun!

1 comment:

  1. I have really enjoyed "Hansens on Asphalt"and I, too, would rather drive than fly -- not only because of my fear of heights, but I don't want to miss a thing. Our country has so many beautiful places that a road trip would always be my first choice. We so much enjoyed your visit with us in West Virginia and are equally glad you arrived back home safely. I love you all and miss you already. Glad you decided to write this blog.
    Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete